There are a LOT of really great scenes in How to Train Your Dragon 2 but this is the one that had the most impact on me and FOR GOOD REASON:
- It’s such a sweet and genuine song first of all.
- It’s sung, at first, by this HUGE masculine viking who spent the better part of the first movie being super cold and distant, leaving his emotions at bay. Now he’s allowing himself to open up and express his feelings and that’s totally okay woah!!
- Along with that his movements around Valka are slow and gentle, allowing her to either reciprocate or walk away. He never grabs her or tries to shove her right back into their relationship. He’s aware of how much time has passed, of her guilt, so homie’s playin it cool.
- But yeah, ultimately SHE’S the one who agrees to the dance and picks up the pace and it’s SO GOOD to see both figures treating each other with so much love and respect.
- Even better is that both parties are ADULTS, the mom and dad figures of the film series. Adults get written out or ignored so often in children’s movies, either by being dead throughout the entirety of the series OR by only showing up at key moments. Both Valka and Stoic are essential to the film, as is their relationship and Valka’s reason for leaving.
- Did I mention how sweet and genuine the song is? Damn near every romance song in a kid’s film is built up to some schmalty love anthem but HTTYD2 takes a quieter, more human approach.
This isn’t even touching on the little details Dreamworks’ adds to their facial expressions and their movements and gosh everything here works so wonderfully please watch How to Train Your Dragon 2
This is one of my absolute favorite scenes, for everything listed above and more. Hiccup is just amazed and awed to see his parents together. This is probably a side of his father he’s rarely seen. I love it.
[starfire voice] MY ANACONDA DOES NOT WISH TO PARTAKE
it’s almost spoopy time.
1. The role and functions of a pawn.
2. The weakest pieces on the board; numerous; interchangeable; existing to be sacrificed for the benefit of the real players.
3. Unlike other pieces, a pawn may not retreat. It can only go forward, one step at a time.
4. A pawn cannot capture a piece that blocks its path. It may only proceed if the opposing piece concedes ground, or if a different route is offered.
5. The en passant capture is a special move that permits one pawn to successfully attack another without directly engaging it.
6. Otherwise, the only way a pawn can capture is by going one step forward and to the left or right, in a single diagonal move.
7. In very rare occasions, if a pawn is allowed to cross the entire board, unscathed…
8. …it may be promoted to a queen, and, perhaps, turn the tide of the war.
pats face im always going to reblog this
are you fucking kidding me
Wow, that was beautiful.
when you forget you had homework, and it’s due the next day
"What if every time Bill appeared the Bill Nye theme just played distantly." - charlesmontyburns
Look at what I did.
Volume warning also.
THIS SHOULDN’T WORK AS PERFECTLY AS IT DOES
Still to this day my favorite comic